Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Can a router control the speed of my Internet?

Okay, let me preface this question by saying that I really do not have a lot of knowledge of computers or the internet, so please make your answer as english as you can. I live in a house with 4 computers and 1 internet connection with all 4 computers hooked up to the same router. Up until now my internet speed has been fine, no complaints. However, as of late my internet connection has been going painfully slow, and I'm starting to think it has something to do with the router. The router is in my brother's room, and he is a super World of Warcraft junkie, he dropped out of school, plays it all the time, etc. Now, I have noticed on several occasions he has unplugged me from the router to make his own internet run faster. Now that my internet has suddenly began to run painfully slow, my first instinct is that he has done something else in order to prove his own internet speed. So my question is, would it be possible for him to do something like that? Slow my internet down to improve the speed of his own? Sorry about the longness of this question, but I really am sick of him being selfish and doing his best to hog the internet. Thanks guys.Can a router control the speed of my Internet?
Yes. He can control your bandwidth thru the router and give himself more and priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment