Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How do I COMPLETELY remove Norton Internet Security WITHOUT going to control panel?

I just got a Windows Vista laptop that came with a 60 - day trial of Norton Antivirus. I hate Norton how do I remove it besides going to add and remove programs because it doesn't completely remove it. I know somebody's gonna send me this site:





http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsg鈥?/a>





but how do I'm supposed to know what product I'm using? Do I click on





I have a Norton product that was purchased from my service provider or what?How do I COMPLETELY remove Norton Internet Security WITHOUT going to control panel?
i had a problem with that. i dont know if this will work for you but if you have a similar laptop to mine then go to start and open it up. At the bottom of the box thing it says 'start search' and you type in a word eg norton and all the things on your laptop that has the word norton will come up. Then i just right clicked and deleted. You might want to go to your recycle bin and delete again lol...if this dont work then, i tried lolHow do I COMPLETELY remove Norton Internet Security WITHOUT going to control panel?
FIRST, you go to RUN on the start menu, then you type in %TEMP% Delete all of the temporary internet files there. (Parts of it could be hiding in your temporary internet files). If you have any problems getting to RUN, the shortcut is holding the ';Start button'; and ';R'; together.





Then you should go to SEARCH on the start menu, then click the link that says, ';all files all folders';. Type in ';Norton';. Delete anything that has to do with Norton internet security. You can also type things in like ';internet';, and ';security'; to find additional places Norton might be on your computer. But it is VERY IMPORTANT that you don't delete everything in there, just anything that has to do with Norton. You don't want to delete any other useful files to your computer.





Then, empty your recycle bin and restart your computer. It should be off your computer.





Hope this helps. :)
Bad unistall of anti-virus program can cause many problems. So do not go into program files and delete Norton. That won't work and could give you all kinds of problems. Open Norton, at the top right corner click on help and support. Then about. That will tell you which Norton is on your computer. Then go to Norton and get the removal tool. Then Open Norton up and turn off all protection. Then use add and remove programs to uninstall Norton. After you restart your computer. Run the Norton removal tool. Then restart again. Norton will be gone, and you will have a good uninstall and should not have problems when you install your new anti-virus program.


If you have a new computer, the link you have posted is the right tool. So you have the right link. Follow my instructions.
Do like RonS is telling you. The ONLY way to completely get rid of Norton is to go to the Symantec web site and use the Norton Removal Tool. Been there, done that! This will get Norton out of your registry too!
Here鈥檚 a link to the Norton removal tool: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsg鈥?/a>





Cheers,


Ron


Windows Outreach Team
..try to go to the location of the file then press shift then delete...it will delete the file you want to delete without going to the recycle bin..
go to the program files under the c:/ drive and delete the folder that contains norton





but idk if that will get rid of it 100%
I remember going through this debacle about 3 months ago. What I ended up doing was literally re-installing my entire operating system (Windows XP), and then installing McAfee.





Why?





Because apparently (I could be wrong on the exact terminology as I am no computer expert...), Norton actually ';attaches'; itself to virtually every file on your computer like a ';friendly'; virus/worm, and monitors all of your files that way. This also explains why every system running Norton runs so much friggin' slower than an identical system running McAfee (or other less intrusive/';fat'; antivirus programs). Plus, this also makes Norton ridiculously hard to COMPLETELY get rid of as well.





Ever since re-installing my operating system (brought my system back to ';day 1'; status, completely removing Norton and all other unused/unwanted applications from my computer), and installing McAfee, my system has run faster by a long shot.





You can try downloading ';Norton remover'; programs if re-installing your operating system sounds too daunting, however be warned that many of these can be ';laced'; with viruses, worms, trojans, spyware/adware, etc. - so be very careful. I love McAfee and my system is faster so I'm happy I did what I did.





Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment